Thursday, February 12, 2009

Half of February is gone?

This has been such a busy last couple of weeks! So of course I have neglected posting more pictures and tidbits about my life. There are some more Dubai pictures I want to share, so maybe I'll post some more this afternoon.
Classes have been busy. I dropped my British History class towards the beginning, and now I only have 2 classes a day mon-thurs and 1 on friday. It gives me a lot more time to do all the reading I need to do.
Last week a woman named Ayaan Hirsi Ali came to campus to speak and it was a very big deal. The auditorium was completely full, students were organizing against her and handing out pamphlets and the question and answer session at the end of her talk was full of tension and bad feelings. She's a Muslim woman advocating for women's rights in the middle east and against Islamic law, and to some degree against Islam entirely. So she's a very controversial woman, and the security was tight because she's had several attempts made on her life. It was very uncomfortable, but in an academic way that sparks discussion, which is a very cool part of college.
And on a different note, Saturday was Disneyland!!! It was Taylor's 19th birthday, so he got into the park for free and Scott, Adela and I went with him. We got there at 830, a half an hour after park opening, and we managed to do almost all the rides by 4 or 5 in the afternoon. It was pouring most of the time we were there, which meant the park was pretty empty for a weekend, and all the lines were short, or nonexistant. We only had to wait 15 minutes for Space Mountain, which is normally somewhere between 50 and 90. Taylor and I went on Splash Mountain, but we weren't far along the ride before it got stuck and they had to send someone up to help us all out of the logs. We got to walk back down through Splash Mountain and go out the back. They gave us all free fast-passes for the inconvenience, but since there weren't really any lines anyway it didn't matter much. Taylor and I had lunch at the Blue Bayou, which is the restaurant in the middle of the Pirates of the Caribbean. It was really good food, and Taylor got free chocolate mousse for his birthday, which I was generous enough to help him eat.
Mom comes down here tomorrow for parents weekend. That means I should clean my room, I guess.
Miss you all!

1 comment:

James of Arabia said...

Have a happy Valentines day.

love dad

ps the "word verification" is chilion...hmmmmm