Wednesday, September 3, 2008

First Week of School


Today was my second day of classes. I'm pretty happy with them, for the most part. I love Italian. It is the best way to start my day. Profesoressa Magistro speaks to us only in Italian which was a little intimidating at first, but is a really fun way to learn the language. I like it so much better than French. And Julia is taking Italian too, so I have someone to practice with. :) Core I is a little borderline. The lectures, which are every other day, are pretty interesting. We have discussion groups the day we don't have lectures, but the professor that leads my discussion group doesn't lead discussions. He just spends all the time we have talking. My peer mentor, Jocelyn, had him last year and she says it's like that all semester. The homework for that class is really intense. We had 40 pages of Galileo to read before the second lecture, and Galileo is a very wordy and repetitive guy. It was almost pointless, all the reading they gave us.
My marine biology class looks pretty promising. I'm one of the few first-years that was able to get into the course, so the first day I sat next to a couple of Scripps seniors. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to find the building because it was on Claremont McKenna's campus, but as I was walking there I ran right into Trevor, a football player from Wilson who now plays at CMC. He was able to point out the building to me and I found the classroom just fine. Hopefully, that class is as fun as I think it will be. We have a field trip in November to the coast.
My Writing 50 class is awesome. Our professor just has us call her Chris, and this first day we just went through the syllabus and introduced/talked a little bit about ourselves. We write 4 papers over the semester, and at the end of the semester/year the 2 best papers get awards and the authors scholarship money. I'm going to try really hard for that, but we'll see. It sounds like our class will also be having a lot of interesting discussions on the topic, and I'm pumped for that.
It doesn't feel like it's only the second day of classes. Scripps feels like home already.

1 comment:

James of Arabia said...

Hi Ariel!! I really enjoy reading your blog and hearing about all about your experiences in college. Great photos by the way!!

love ya,
Dad