Monday, September 22, 2008

Monday Morning

Monday mornings and Friday mornings are the best. Everything in between is really difficult. Monday mornings I have to wake up early to work from 8am-10am, but it's the beginning of the week so I'm fresh and it's ok. Plus, the Field House director brought me coffee and a muffin this morning. Friday mornings I only have one class- Italian. That means I go back to sleep at 11 when it gets out. But Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings are brutal. The days here feel so long, but the weeks go by so quickly. It's a time warp.
I would like to digress so that I may show you how creepy our basement/laundry room is:I was talking about laundry with Rachel the other night on the phone, though, and she claims that hers is much creepier because strange guys from their dorm hang out in the laundry room. At least, we don't have that problem.
This weekend was good. Taylor and I hung out and went shopping at an obscenely large mall. I pumped my own gas for the first time. It was a pretty stressful ordeal though, because I was running out of gas in an area I didn't know very well and the first two gas stations I stopped at were closed. Finally, a friendly guy on rollerskates playing a plastic recorder pointed me in the right direction. I started watching a new show called "True Blood" about, what else, vampires. I think I got my roommate, Julia, and my neighbors addicted to it too.
Friday night, a group of us went to Harvey Mudd's gym/rec center and played foosball, scrabble, and air hockey. Turns out they also have a tandem bike to rent, and a couple people tried that. I really enjoy Harvey Mudd's campus. One of their dorms is always having a bonfire outside, and other dorms have couches, hammocks and coffee tables in the areas outside.
Last night, when we all should have been doing homework, we had an apples to apples party. It wasn't really a "party" but the guide to student life qualifies having more than 8 people in your room a "party." Apples to apples is a great game, but it's hard to play with 11 people, and it really relies on having some idea of what people find funny. It's a really good "getting to know you" type game though.
I just finished reading "The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass" and found it really interesting. Probably the best of my core reading that I've done so far. I'd recommend for anyone, but think that Grandma would especially appreciate it.

No comments: